Guangyang Primary School (光洋小学), originally named Kong Yiong School, was started by a group of Chinese education enthusiasts on 25 February 1918, offering Chinese as the first language. It was first located next to the Serangoon Post Office. It was moved several times until it finally settled at 993B Yio Chu Kang Road in 1930 where it remained until November 1992
In 1959, the school took in secondary classes and was named Kong Yiong High School.
In 1978, the school became bilingual offering English as well as Chinese as a first and second language. In 1984, the secondary school branch and the primary school branch separated. The primary school branch was converted into a government school in 1986.
In 1988, a new logo and school uniform were introduced and the name of the school was changed to its “hanyu pinyin” version, that is GUANGYANG PRIMARY SCHOOL (光洋小学)
In January 1993, the school was relocated to 6 Bishan Street 12.
To facilitate the redevelopment of the school premises under PRIME for 2 years, in January 2010, the school was shifted to a holding site at 2 Ang Mo Kio Street 23.
In January 2012, Guangyang Primary School moved back to 6 Bishan Street 12. The sparkling new building complete with an Indoor Sport Hall, covered play courts, a roof-top parade square and a Multi-Purpose Hall. New PE attire and school uniform were also introduced.